Since Health remains our top priority we would like to inform you that, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Circle the Med Forum will take place as it was scheduled on November 9 and 10 2020, but as a digital event (circlethemed.com).
This forum is a holistic follow up of two former events organized with focus on Circular Economy: Circle 2018 in Chania, Greece and Circle 2019 in Nicosia, Cyprus. This time we are targeting the MED as a whole tackling Circular Economy challenges as Mediterranean challenges.
In the meantime we will be organizing a series of monthly “virtual debates” on different pillars of the Circular Economy, hosting invitees from all over the world to guide us to the main event of November.
In this context, in the 1st online debate which will be held on May 11th 2020 (15:00 Brussels, 16:00 Athens), Mr George Kremlis, as President of the Organizing Committee of the Circle the Med Forum and the International “Circular Clima Institute” of the European Public Law Organization (EPLO) will host the Director General of DG ENV of the European Commission Mr. Daniel Calleja-Crespo in order to discuss the theme:
“COVID-19 and climate change: Α tale of two crises”
- The virus is prompting us to change our habits in ways that could make a longer-term contribution to climate protection — working from home, video conferencing, working shorter weeks or staggering office hours to reduce traffic.
- Could Circular Economy become the post Covid-19 economic model par excellence to promote environmental and climate goals in a civil society which is ready to accept behavioral changes?
- How could the Mediterranean as the key European Sea benefit in terms of its coastal areas and islands from the European Commission’s action plan on Circular Economy?
- Are there any impacts on the Green Deal because of the Covid-19 pandemic?
- Companies might also conclude that what's good for the planet — localized production — is a sensible way to protect their supply chains from all kinds of risk, such as extreme weather events linked to climate change.
- Is this Economic Shutdown a way to reach climate goals?
- Does the outbreak reveal what life might be like if we were to act seriously on climate change? Or what it might be like if we don't?
- Pollution and greenhouse gas emissions have fallen across continents as countries try to contain the spread of the new Covid - 19. Is this just a fleeting change, or could it lead to longer-lasting falls in emissions?
The event will be hosted in a remote platform and broadcasted through the website of the Circle the Med forum circlethemed.com and social media. A recording of the session will be available for later viewing.
All invitees will have the possibility to interact during the debate, participate in live polls and ask questions to the speakers.
The President of the Organizing Committee of Circle the Med Forum